Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Lily beetle - will someone remind me please?

"Mary Fisher" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" replied

However, Spouse was keen on spraying against this one so I'll tell him
what you say. I looked at them again this morning and saw some very small
adults hiding in folds of the plant, I think it might be very difficult to
ensure finding them all.

Unless you want the seeds for propagation pick off all seed pods to allow
all the goodness to go into bulb formation, otherwise leave the
stem/leaves to provide food until they turn brown and die.

I don't want to propagate - no room - but that's what I've always done.
However, this year there are no flowers and few leaves left :-(

That's what happens, without a good set of leaves the plants can't make food
to store for next year and therefore either don't come up at all or get
smaller each year and eventually die out. The young larvae are worse and
cover themselves in their own excreta so look like bird droppings. The
adults also call their mates when they find food plants, I've actually
seen/heard them do it, a strange vibrating sound.
I'm convinced if you are in an area where they are rife spraying with a
systemic insecticide is the only way to ensure your lilies thrive and
improve year on year, as apposed to just about survive. I don't like it but
it's true.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden