Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED - overflowed garden pond

"Mr M" wrote:

'~ jan[_3_ Wrote:
;738308']On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:04:39 CST, Mr M

wrote:
-

I was topping up my garden pond last night with tap water via my
garden
hose and unfortunately, forgot that I'd left it filling up. So came
out
this evening, pond overflowing with fresh water and crystal clear so
presumeably existing water replaced with fresh water and some of my
fish are now dead. The remaining 4 fish appear ok but they are at the
top of the water sucking for air and are a bit docile. Is there any
'household' material which I can put in the pond tonight, to try to
save my remaining fish from dying?-

I assume you can't go out and get dechlor? If not, use organics, like
dirt
for the chlorine to work on, and aeration, lots & lots of aeration. ~
jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

No it was too late in the evening yesterday, shops were all closed. I
picked up some dechlor first thing this morning and introduced it but
of the remaining fish, one more had already died, two appeared to be ok
but were still at the surface glugging for air and the last was on the
shelf near the surface but lying on its side and glugging. I think its
only a matter of time for this one unfortunately and he was the largest
fish we had. Hoefully, the other two will be ok.

Suffice to say, I will never again forget that I have put the hose in
the pond to top it up but we had visitors that night who wanted to see
the fish, I noticed the pond wanted topping up when we were out in the
garden, I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is
history as they say

So sorry to hear about your fish. I know how attached we get to them.

I'm so paranoid about making the same error, I set a kitchen timer before I
even turn on the water. I also keep dechlor on hand.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.