Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RichToyBox RichToyBox is offline

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED - overflowed garden pond

"Chip" wrote in message ...
Mr M wrote:
I put the hose in and shortly after came indoors. The rest is
history as they say.

This is a sad story, my condolences. But since I never have forgotten
anything, it will never happen to me!!!! :)

However, just in case it does, am I reading that lots of aeration will
automatically handle the declor? In my 16000 gal pond I will have an
automatic water leveler that feeds from the tap on a continuous basis as
the level drops. I am concerned about declor, when and how much. If I
have a fair amount of aeration, a largish waterfall and fountain, will I
have to declor at all?

Chip

Depends. Due to the organic load in a pond, small additions can be
accommodated without the use of dechlor. The chlorine is consumed. Larger
additions, cleaner ponds, etc., require dechlor. One of the problems with
an automatic top off, is that if there is a leak in the pond or filtration,
the automatic top off will end up being a major water change that will put
in too much chlorine for the system to consume. If you are going to go with
an automatic system, put a large carbon filter in line in front of the
discharge. When relying on carbon to dechlor the water, periodically check
to be sure the carbon hasn't been used up, by testing for chlorine. It is a
good idea to use two carbon filters in series, check the water between them,
and when you have started detecting chlorine after the first, then switch
the second to first position and install a new filter in second spot. This
will allow some chlorine to get past the spent first filter without it
getting to the pond.

--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia