Old 14-08-2007, 06:40 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] wdukes@fw.private.neotoma.org is offline

Default termites ( or something) in my compost pile

On 2007-07-30, wrote:
Hello
I've recently moved my compost from a pile on the ground to black
plastic barrels.
I've noticed that in one of the barrels there are a lot of termites..a
LOT. I don't think they are maggots because they are a grey colour and
not the white that I think maggots are.
I've done some checking and this does not seem to be an uncommon
occurence and nowhere has it siad to get rid of the compost, but I'm
looking for more advice. Is this compost useable? If so, I'm guessing
that not at all close to the house. I didn't notice any termites until
after I added shredded paper to the pile (on the ground).
What are your thoughts on this?

Yes there are other types of flies that make the grey larve. They seem
to especially like melons in the pile. I generally just cover them with
leaves. Every couple trips with peelings I cover it over and add a bit
of water.
Thanks
Elizabeth

is a garbage address.