Old 15-08-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Merry Merry is offline

Default Comfrey -- to move or not move...

Comfrey - be careful if you move it! Every tiny bit of root will re
grow. Its a great plant, its a useful plant - it makes medicine - it
makes great garden compost (do not put in seeds - do not put in roots,
let leaves air dry for a bit before adding to compost pile)
The chickens love it and you will be rewarded with lovely golden yellow
egg yolks, and healthier chickens. When I had a farm I just grew a
hedge of the stuff in the chicken run.
Colette

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Okay, opinions please...

I have a Comfrey plant that someone gave me in June. It was a feeble
little thing when I got it but now it is like a show plant -- absolutely
huge, lush and vivid dark green. The root ball would probably fill a
bushel basket. I know if I leave it here, it will probably be mowed down
and destroyed and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move it? And if I
try
to move it, how much can I cut it back (tops and/or roots) before I
damage
it fatally? I'm taking a lot of my favorite smaller herbs with me
because
I can't stand the thought of them being slaughtered but this is by far
the
biggest outside plant I'm thinking of moving. My thirty-five year old
Xmas
Cactus is the biggest indoor plant I'm moving.
When I purchase a plant from Nichol's all I got was a piece of root. I
then hacked it into pieces after about a year and most made it . Intent
was perennial chicken food additions.

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

Could you expand on using comfrey for chickens? I have lots of both.
(Russian comfrey and laying hens.)

Thanks,

Jan

Comfrey can be used a a fodder for chickens. Gives them something to
nibble on and it is perennial. Can also be used a green manure.

Fodder \Fod"der\ (f[o^]d"d[~e]r), v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Foddered}
(f[o^]d"d[~e]rd); p. pr. & vb. n. {Foddering}.]
To feed, as cattle, with dry food or cut grass, etc.; to
furnish with hay, straw, oats, etc.
[1913 Webster]

Bill