Old 02-04-2003, 09:56 AM
~ jan

Default advice wanted on building 10,000 gal koi pond

I question the need for filtering 10 -12K pond. There are many ponds of
lesser size than that that are 'al natural' and not filtered. I think water
movement, IE - a stream would be a good idea, but

"unless you intend to
vastly over-stock the Koi, you may be wasting a lot of time and resources
developing a filter. My $.02"

That's usually what they intend to do when they say, "KOI pond". Plus,
serious koi ponders want GROWTH, if they don't buy 'em big to begin with,
one can never have enough filtration for a "Koi Pond" . ;o) ~ jan

I wish I had enought ROOM for a 10K pond, keep us posted on the progress!

Shalom!
Michael Lee

"~ jan" wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Mar 2003 19:22:02 -0800, (Dennis) wrote:

I am about to embark upon the endeavor of building a 10,000-12,000 gal
koi pond with a 30 foot stream and 2000 gal header pond. I previously
owned (for 5 yrs)a 4,000 gal pond which was build by a landscaper.
This time I would really like to do it myself. I have read numerous
books and researched extensively on the net, plus I learned a few
things from my previous pond ownership. Are there any pitfalls I
should watch out for, or unique things I should consider in building a
pond this size? Any input would be much appreciated. I intend to use
bottom drains to a vortex filter, then to a series of mechanical and
biofilters, then a pump into the "veggie" filter header pond and
lastly, the filtration of the stream leading back to the larger pond.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Dennis

"Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for,
or unique things I should consider in building a
pond this size? "

Envious glares from koi/pond friends, admiration from rec.ponders and most
likely a flat wallet. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~