Old 03-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Jim Leahy

Default Ivy Growth: Cut or Let Be??

Dude --the is the devils weed.
It will rot your wood.(remember it is just water and celose --ie wet
wood).

It will trash your morter. (the roots love any crack just to grow
expand and make it bigger).

It will allow the ground around your home to stay moist and in turn
you foundation stays moist. Ie damp basement.

It will climb your trees and kill them along with any shrubs.

It provides a great home for rodents and hides all thier adventures
up the side of your house, in basement window wells. Provides them
great cover and housing.

It provided a great home for ants.

Shall I contiue or is that enough. I bought an 100 yr old victorian
with ivy only 10 ft up but around the base of the house. I had 1/2
inch dia holes in the window wells for the mice to go though. Every
basement window was rotten.
The water around the house didn't drain--it just sucks and adds no
value.

Now how to get rid of it.
Mow it with your mower except watch out for everything that has ever
been lost in the ivy. (I went though 3 mowers) I found bricks, balls,
metal pans, rocks,stumps.

Mow it again --even lower

let it dry out.

use a roto tiller to wind up all the roots. Just like spagetti on a
fork. when it get's too bound up on the tiller just cut it off with a
pruner. Works grand,

Just kill the suff and be done with it

Then say "god bless the Philadelphia Flyers and Donald Brashier"