Old 02-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default first bud

Shiva wrote:

Susan, I find that about 100 roses is manageable for me to care for by
myself. I work 50 or so hours a week--but I do not require a "neat"
garden. There are some weeds, and things are not perfect. But I do spray
for fungus and insects every 10 days, and I do keep them deadheaded. I am
staying at 100 by replacing roses I am not thrilled with. I grow some in
pots, too.

If the s.o. would go along with losing more grass, I could have more
roses. I'm slowly encroaching on it anyway so we'll see. However, I
think that the addition of five roses this year is probably going to be
the limit. I'm seriously tempted to shovel prune one I have now but I
feel like I should give it another year to put out before it gets
relocated onto the public area of our development.

I still regret not having more property but I also did *not8 want to be
on a well. We also wanted to stay in Durham since the s.o. and I both
work in Durham - s.o. for the VA Hospital doing medical research and I
at Fuqua as their web administrator. We can have odd hours and long
days so didn't want a heavy duty commute on top of it all.

Oh yeah, I've decided to get on the grounds committee for our
subdivision. This way, if I want to move/plant roses to the public
areas, I can make it official policy. *evil grin*

Speaking of public areas and roses makes me think of climbing roses.
Will any of the climbing roses climb trees without a lot of work on my
part? Just a thoeretical question, of course. *grin*

Oh my, I can just see the s.o. now. Two 35 mm cameras, a digital
camera and she's scanning flowers directly on the scanner bed. *grin*

Gracious, you don't need to do this then! But it is good for when those of
us w/o good cameras just HAVE to share right away! Here are some from past
years:

Yes I do. The pictures are beautiful! I'm an amature photography buff
so it doesn't matter how the picture is achieved as long as it looks
good. Did you use any kind of background paper behind the rose to get
the black background?

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu