Old 25-08-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default 100+ F

Watering a large collection is why I finally built a greenhouse.

I used to spend 5 hours a weekend watering plants from a dishpan (and
watching football in the fall).

Could you use shade cloth to make a closed greenhouse that would keep the
grasshoppers out but still allow you to water with a hose? The shade cloth
would help to cut on the sun as well but may raise the heat since it would
trap some heat.

Could you carry the collection outdoors and water with a hose and then carry
back into the house?

If you could "find" some bread trays like they use at McD's for hamburger
rolls you could move more plants at a time in and out.

If you are growing under lights and have a drain nearby could you rig up
some trays that would drain into the drain? I used to get some great trays
for that purpose from the companies that make plant carts. With some basic
plumbing parts and garden hose you could rig up the trays to drain the
excess water away from the plants.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
It's been at or over 100 F for the past 3 weeks now. The severe drought
continues, forcing the grasshoppers to go for anything watered. Today I
started to bring my orchids back inside. I think the heat is getting to
them also as they're getting a lighter green.

How do you guys water your indoor orchids? I've been using a dishpan to
set them in 2 at a time but as the collection grows that takes a long
time. I can't use a watering can as the water runs right through the
orchid mix.