Old 25-08-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default 100+ F

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:51:33 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:
How do you guys water your indoor orchids? I've been using a dishpan to
set them in 2 at a time but as the collection grows that takes a long
time. I can't use a watering can as the water runs right through the
orchid mix.

When I grew in Window Sills I took the dish pan to catch the drip -
but I watered with a hand pump sprayer that held a gallon or two.
We had a good number of plants and a 18 inch deep 8 foot tall gh cut
in the end of the living room. During the winter the doors were open
to the house and during the summer the plants lived hung on a fence
under a tree in the back yard. The water was close to the carpet but
with a dishpan to catch the over flow I could water in-situ.

If you run the hose on the floor of the gh 2-3 times a day. Early
noon and about 3 it should push the humidity up and cool the space
off. Our gh has not caused the heat alarm with over a week of 96
degree days. We have had a very hot July in the 95-100 degree range.
It is surprising how much cooler it is when the floor is wet. Now I
do have a crushed gravel drain bed for a floor in the gh. That allows
the excess to drain away.
SuE