Old 26-08-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default 100+ F

"SuE" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:51:33 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:
How do you guys water your indoor orchids? I've been using a dishpan
set them in 2 at a time but as the collection grows that takes a long
time. I can't use a watering can as the water runs right through the
orchid mix.

When I grew in Window Sills I took the dish pan to catch the drip -
but I watered with a hand pump sprayer that held a gallon or two.
We had a good number of plants and a 18 inch deep 8 foot tall gh cut
in the end of the living room. During the winter the doors were open
to the house and during the summer the plants lived hung on a fence
under a tree in the back yard. The water was close to the carpet but
with a dishpan to catch the over flow I could water in-situ.

If you run the hose on the floor of the gh 2-3 times a day. Early
noon and about 3 it should push the humidity up and cool the space
off.

Nope. It just makes it a temporary steam bath and only a few degrees cooler.
No more than 4 to 5 F cooler. That's nothing when the inside is 120F.

Our gh has not caused the heat alarm with over a week of 96
degree days.

What is your heat alarm set at? When it's 99 and over I can't see how
anything other than a solid cover and real A/C would cool a GH. The heat
builds as fast as the fans can remove it.

We have had a very hot July in the 95-100 degree range.
It is surprising how much cooler it is when the floor is wet. Now I
do have a crushed gravel drain bed for a floor in the gh. That allows
the excess to drain away.

How much cooler than the outside temperature does wetting the floor in your
GH make?
Gravel is what we have in the Rion. Crushed limestone. The HFGH has a
brown gravel. Wetting it down will bring the temp down to 115, maybe 110
for a very short time but the humidity is then unbearable... much too hot
for plants - or people.

SuE