Old 26-08-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bob Walsh Bob Walsh is offline

Default 100+ F

How about using a water metering device made for watering lawns. Set it for
enough water (in gallons) to handle expected needs in the greenhouse plus 10
or 20 percent. Some of these are battery operated and would reset each day.
This would go on the spigot before the hose.

Sams club carries a 120 or 125' hose that we have left on for months with no
problems. Our water pressure runs 50 to 70 pounds per inch. The hose is
priced in the mid 20 dollar range.

Bob
"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Hi,

This is a problem that's been solved many times over - swamp coolers and
other devices can be used in hobby greenhouses to get the temps under
100.

But where do you get a swamp cooler? Are these home made? What do they
cost? I'm also under the impression you need a constant water supply to
the GH for a SC. Because of the limestone just under the surface it's
cost in prohibitive. The GHs are not near the waterline. Leaving the
water turned on using a hose on the surface isn't an option. We've ended
up with huge water bills several times over the years when the hose split
and no one saw it for hours - or we weren't home.

Who out there has a greenhouse where the days regularly top 100? What do
you do? Do you just tailor your collection to grow plants you know can
take that level of heat? Do you have a misting system that keeps the
humidity really high? Plants can take the heat better with more water in
the air.

Misting requires a constant water supply.

Sorry I can't be of much direct help - San Francisco is the natural cloud
forest of America, even in summer.

Good luck!

The uncontrollable heat was the reason I took all the plants out of the GH
this spring. We though the shade-cloths and fans alone would keep the GHs
at least the same temp as it was outside, boy were we ever wrong.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org
www.plantworld.org