Old 28-08-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default 100+ F

Yes, DC was built on a drained swamp. From mid-July through Labor day it
can be very sticky. We also get that nice hot moist air from our friends
from the south.

I think when they say that the swamp cooler isn't effective they are
refering to places like Houston or NOLA.

My swamp cooler has a big squirrel wheel fan that moves lots of air through
the greenhouse. I'm sure that's helping a lot too. I've visited Krull
Smith near Orlando. They have walls of swamp coolers and I know when I
stand near them I can tell the difference than the areas away from the
cooler.

My greenhouse is often cooler than my house.....

Gene

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
newsTpAi.30236$Bv1.3801@trnddc06...
I have no way of telling how much water my swamp cooler actually uses.
When it runs it pumps the water back over the aspen wood pads. It pumps a
small amount of water out into the drain so there isn't a mineral buildup.

When I started the Greenhouse 5 years ago I did not see a big increase in
the waterbill. I don't think the water usage is much.

Thanks Gene. I've been doing some research online and read that they're
not very effective in humid climates. It's very humid where I live.
Think of a tropical jungle. The humidity drops off when the heat starts
to drop, around the middle of Sept. The plants have to come in before the
middle of Oct. which is our first frost date here. Is your climate also
humid?