Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Question about bloom Longevity

You don't say what zone you're in. In our southern zones, the person who
told you that these plants bloom early was absolutely correct. In fact, we
plant pansies, snapdragons, dianthus, kale, and cabbage in October and they
pretty much grow a little in winter and then go crazy in early spring. As
soon as May arrives, they start to fizzle out from the heat.

Impatiens in our zone also go in a shady spot, while marigolds do best in
full sun. Which situation do you have and maybe I can help recommend some
plants that are very pretty and hardy to your zone.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Darby Wiggins" wrote in message
I was considering planing snapdragons, gerber daisies and pansies in my
small garden this year however, the nursery hand told me that these
plants bloom early in the spring and do not remain in bloom for the
entire summer. Is this correct?

I really liked the look of these flowers and wanted to add them to the
mix of marigolds and impatient that I plan to plant in a bed and a pot
but if they do not stay in bloom for the majority of the summer, I have
no interest in investing in them. There is already plenty of greenery in
the area, so color is what i'm looking for.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks
Darby