Old 29-08-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default onions and garlic

Hi Bob,

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh Dear! Guess which garlic I have bought to plant this
Autumn!

Yes, you're right, no prizes given - Solent Wight!

I assume, Bob, you bought it from "The Garlic Farm" (or similar) on the Isle
of Wight becaue that's where I bought mine from? Did you contact them to
complain and if so, what was their answer? I'm interested in knowing whether
it was The Garlic Farm or not as the email conversation I had with them
impressed me very much (as did the garlic heads I received) but, perhaps, I
jumped to the wriong conclusion.

My garlic (Germidour) was not good this year due to the heavy rain we had
and the garlic leaf rust that killed off the top growth and caused me
dig them up earlier than I should have.

Could I ask which other varieties you planted, please, (and which you
thought the best) as I well may have to consider buying others myself for
planting this Autumn!!!?

TIA

Regards,

John

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

We tried Solent Wight this year, first time we have ever had a disaster
with Garlic, luckily we also planted other varieties that did as well as
usual. We will not be using Solent Wighht again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden