Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM

Cass wrote:
In article , Bob Bauer
wrote:

Radika said:

I have a hedge of Eugene de Beauharnais that actually produces
(what I call) Fuschia coloured blossoms like this
http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/euge...auharnais.html

You have a whole hedge? What a great idea. Are yours budded or OR?
I'd heard that the thing won't grow on its own roots, so my plant is
budded, oogly, as expected, but flowers constantly.

LOL! This is rather funny to read since totally coincidentally, my
"hedge" is only a short (12 feet) hedge of 4 plants right now - two are
budded and two are own-root, and the own-root ones are from Alice's
White Rabbit, got from her before she decided to close shop. I got them
all about two and a half years ago, this is their third spring here, and
the own-root ones have nicely caught up with the budded ones. I just
looked at them this morning, and was gladdened beyond all reason to see
all the new shoots coming out of the ground, and the new basal breaks on
the budded plants as well. That colour is something I love to wear, and
it is an unreasoning and unconditional love I feel for this rose. Who
says that this does not grow OR? Based on my experience, I would say
root some yourself, or I can give you cuttings to root when I prune them
in the fall if you like. I have not prunes them so far, because I want
them to build to a really nice size. The ones at the Heritage look
spectacular, but the Kernel goes around saying they don;t do anything
special for him; may be there is too much coal in New Castle or something.

Wow, Paul Barden is one helluva photographer. I wanna eat that
rose! I love that color. Nice.....

Not only his photos, but his site is to die for. The best bloom I
ever got off Eugene, this spring, weather cool, the color mighty
poiple:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ecbernst...ais30Mar03.jpg

Wow. Nice picture, but it is way more purple than I have ever seen it
here. It is a beautiful Maria Callas pink with a tinge of purple thrown
in out here, never so purple! This almost looks like Tuscany Superb! See
Paul's:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/gallicas/superb.html

Again, that is what Tuscany Superb looks like here, but in JohnW.'s
pictures they look like the OGR red, and he thinks that Paul's colours
are being added by the lens - harrumph! *This* is what TS looks like
here. Cass, you ought to try one of these purple children of TS and TS
as well - see this is the one I want to get from Uncommon Rose either
this year or the next, Ellen Tofflemi

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/gallicas/bestgallica.html

I have a spot for it, right in my (more or less) row of Gallicas (mixed
in with a few other things in my usual crazy fashion, but it is mostly
Gallicas out there).

Cheet, that sure doesn't look amazing on my Apple browser...looks a
tad bit better on Internet Exploder. I have to stop doing my photo
editing in the dark.......

Huh? It looks great on my Mozilla ... what is your complaint? Get thee
thyself the use of Mozilla ...

--
Radika
California