Old 31-08-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
g_i_n_k_o[_2_] g_i_n_k_o[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring pendant lamp

BobP wrote:
: I have a new socket for a 175 watt MH pendant lamp but am not certain
: how to wire it. The ground wire is a gimme, but do I hook the white
: (hot) wire up to the spring that touches the center "electrode" of the
: bulb or to the threaded part of the socket that the bulb screws
: into? (I'd just look at the old one, but I don't have it in one
: piece anymore, sad to say.)
:
: Thanks!
:
: Rancho
:

Hot goes to the inside contact part of the fixture while neutral goes
to the outside threaded part. Think the reasoning behind this is
that it's much easier to accidentially touch the much larger piece
of metal.

Also, the standard colors a
black -- hot
white -- neutral
green -- ground

Many hardware stores have simple wiring guides for sale that go over
all this info useful for home wiring. some of the better guides also
include common building code requirements.