Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Cass

Default Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM

Radika Kesavan wrote:
Cass wrote:
Bob Bauer wrote:
Radika said:

I have a hedge of Eugene de Beauharnais that actually produces
(what I call) Fuschia coloured blossoms like this
http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/euge...auharnais.html

You have a whole hedge? What a great idea. Are yours budded or OR?
I'd heard that the thing won't grow on its own roots, so my plant is
budded, oogly, as expected, but flowers constantly.

LOL! This is rather funny to read since totally coincidentally, my
"hedge" is only a short (12 feet) hedge of 4 plants right now -

That counts.

two are budded and two are own-root, and the own-root ones are from
Alice's White Rabbit, got from her before she decided to close shop.
I got them all about two and a half years ago, this is their third
spring here, and the own-root ones have nicely caught up with the
budded ones. I just looked at them this morning, and was gladdened
beyond all reason to see all the new shoots coming out of the ground,
and the new basal breaks on the budded plants as well. That colour is
something I love to wear, and it is an unreasoning and unconditional
love I feel for this rose. Who says that this does not grow OR?

The guy who sold me the plant. Ya know, the OR EdB's are not that
common.

Wow, Paul Barden is one helluva photographer. I wanna eat that
rose! I love that color. Nice.....

Not only his photos, but his site is to die for. The best bloom I
ever got off Eugene, this spring, weather cool, the color mighty
poiple:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ecbernst...eDeBeauharnais
30Mar03.jpg

Wow. Nice picture, but it is way more purple than I have ever seen it
here. It is a beautiful Maria Callas pink with a tinge of purple thrown
in out here, never so purple! This almost looks like Tuscany Superb! See
Paul's:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/gallicas/superb.html

Yep, I never saw it so dark.

Cass, you ought to try one of these purple children of TS and TS
as well - see this is the one I want to get from Uncommon Rose either
this year or the next, Ellen Tofflemi

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/gallicas/bestgallica.html

I have Charles de Mills, which is the smallest of the small roses.
Maybe I'll get a flower this year. All it wants to do is try to sucker
out of the drain holes of the pot.

Cheet, that sure doesn't look amazing on my Apple browser...looks a
tad bit better on Internet Exploder. I have to stop doing my photo
editing in the dark.......

Huh? It looks great on my Mozilla ... what is your complaint? Get thee
thyself the use of Mozilla ...

When I compress the files for internet, some of the richness gets
sucked out. And my browsers don't display jpegs the same, the one thing
IE does better.