Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits

I've noticed that on my sweetcorn one of the top fluffy bits (sorry about
the technical language!) has developed into, what looks like, an ear of corn
but is much smaller, a bit sad looking, with kernals missing and mis-shapen,
and some dark in colour. It, obviously, has no sheath of leaves and looks
most strange..

I've never seen this happen before and, out of interest, wondered if anyone
can tell me more about this peculiar ear. I believe the fluffy bits are,
generally, known as 'tassels', by the way, but this, to me, is no more
technical than fluffy bits!

I don't intend to eat it as it looks most unappetising and even spread with
butter its looks would not be improved!

Just out of interest does anyone know what this is?

Regards,

John