Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits

On 2 Sep, 11:23, "John Vanini" wrote:
I don't intend to eat it as it looks most unappetising and even spread with
butter its looks would not be improved!

LOL!!

Just out of interest does anyone know what this is?

It happened to me many times - last year I'd left about 10 cobs,
looking just like the one you describe, to the 'beasts' visiting our
allotment. This year our corn is not really looking good and I suspect
we will have many tiny cobs - I blame all the rain and not enough
sunshine but also lack of feed. In my case I didn't give enough
nitrogen/potassium which the sweet corns benefit immensely from at the
flowering stages, I went on holidays for too long ... and too often
this year. Also I was late planting our corn this year, which didn't
help. Did you straight sow or in pots first and then transplanted? And
did you feed your sweet corns?