Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits

No Robert,

Sorry but the ears or cobs are fine - a better crop than ever and the cobs
are bigger and better shaped than I've seen on my sweetcorn, ever before.

It's one of those tassles at the very top that has grown deformed or, then
again, has it? Is it that I have never noticed this before? Perhaps, they
all go like that in time.

I can't find any mention on the Internet or in books, however. It's not
important because the crop is fine, as I say, but it is just very
interesting and I'd love to find out what the strange 'ear' is!

Thanks again,

Regards,

John

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote in message
La Puce wrote:
:: On 2 Sep, 11:59, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
::: I suggest it's uneven pollination. Sweetcorn is wind pollinated, it
::: was probably wet at the time pollination had to take place which
::: would stop the pollen blowing from the tassels onto the immature
::: seed.
::
:: Off course Mary! That rain ... must have dampened the tassels and
:: made polination almost impossible. That's why John found lots of
:: 'ears' without a developed or crooked corn. Do you feed yours or not?

Had some more of ours yesterday and they are delicious although many are
only producing one cob instead of the usual two