Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Home-Made fertilisers

On 7 Sep, 16:38, "John Vanini" wrote:
Following my earlier posting on Nitro-Chalk, I would be pleased to hear of
anyone else's home-made fertilisers (that is, if you don't mind passing the
information on!).

I ask because, yesterday, I heard about a man on the allotment site who
makes his own by adding Growmore, stinging nettles, and horse manure to
water in a very large butt and letting it stand.

I was amazed at the size and health of his crops but I haven't managed to
see him yet, as we, obviously, go up there at different times but when I do
I'll ask him the quatities he uses and how he uses it and hope he tells me.

I've read of comfrey and stinging nettles (among other things) being used
but never tried it myself, as yet so I'd love to hear of other people's
favourite recipes.

I ask so many questions because I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
gardening before any more of my body packs up and I have to give up my
beloved allotment!

Anyway, thanks in advance and my best regards,

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each. Each fertilizer has its amount of NPK - and
on some instances, like for beans, I'd use OM and then later use
comfrey to mulch. I use OM every year (my autumn delivery arrives
tomorrow!!) which goes on top of every bed and I keep it there until
I've used it all. I do nettles and comfrey, not together, but
separately in different buckets (I got some amazing barrels from Mary
on this forum earlier this year). These I use everywhere, for flowers
and fruits. Now I'm stopping - there's no need. I'll make fresh
barrels next year, as soon as the nettles arrives, because young
leaves are the bestest. I use comfrey to mulch and add it on my
compost pile (and box at home). I also don't get headaches with weeds
and grass, as I find some to be useful as mulch.

Find below a link which I think is perfect for you. It will give you
the general idea of the balance in NPK and what natural fertiliser is
good for from Shoddy to Green Manure! I have never used Growmore and
don't intent to either. I have simpler

http://www.ecodyfi.org.uk/growing/downloads/Week4.doc