Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Home-Made fertilisers

Thanks Helene,

I was told that was what he did but the chap I was talking to may not have
really known - hence my question! I will, as soon as I can I will talk to
the plot holder, himself to see what he says.

Thanks for your information, it's very interesting and all very welcome! I
must admit that I wish I'd got an allotment many years ago as I enjoy it so
much and the people are all so friendly and helpful - here and on the
allotment site.

I'll try that link.

Kindest regards,

John

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each. Each fertilizer has its amount of NPK - and
on some instances, like for beans, I'd use OM and then later use
comfrey to mulch. I use OM every year (my autumn delivery arrives
tomorrow!!) which goes on top of every bed and I keep it there until
I've used it all. I do nettles and comfrey, not together, but
separately in different buckets (I got some amazing barrels from Mary
on this forum earlier this year). These I use everywhere, for flowers
and fruits. Now I'm stopping - there's no need. I'll make fresh
barrels next year, as soon as the nettles arrives, because young
leaves are the bestest. I use comfrey to mulch and add it on my
compost pile (and box at home). I also don't get headaches with weeds
and grass, as I find some to be useful as mulch.

Find below a link which I think is perfect for you. It will give you
the general idea of the balance in NPK and what natural fertiliser is
good for from Shoddy to Green Manure! I have never used Growmore and
don't intent to either. I have simpler

http://www.ecodyfi.org.uk/growing/downloads/Week4.doc