Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default compost "tea bags"

"Peter" wrote in message
u...
Hey all,

Does anyone know if weed seeds can be killed when they are immersed in
water
for extended periods? If so, how long does it take? I've just started
using
my grey water to draw nutrients from my grass clippings (and clipping
compost) to avoid adding the clippings directly to my vege patch. I'm
trying
to reduce the amount of weeds that spring up whenever I turn my back.

Or should I just chuck the "spent" clippings into the greenwaste bin?

Peter

hm. i make fertiliser from weeds & haven't noticed it creates a weed
problem... then again, my weed problem is currently considerable anyway -
how would i notice if it was worse? :-)

most if not all weed seeds should drown in the 2-4 weeks you are submerging
the clippings. if they seem not to be drowning, just leave them longer so
they do!! alternatively, if you put the stuff into a finely-woven bag &
submerge the bag in the water, this would solve the issue of seeds going in
the liquid. you could then re-compost the leftover sludge from the bag.

really, mulching is the only thing that really "helps" with weeds. i just
don't think there's any other solution. seeds blow in from other places
anyway no matter what you do.
kylie