Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Bob Bauer

Default Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM

Cass showed:

The best bloom I ever
got off Eugene, this spring, weather cool, the color mighty poiple:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ecbernst...ais30Mar03.jpg

Great picture Cass, I especially notice the little points ate the
center edge of each petal.

I think dark purples do best in cool and humid climates like Paul's in
Oregon.

I find that 'The Prince', which is my best dark purple, does best
color wise in the cool fall weather. During the hottest part of the
summer it is almost red.

You know the great thing about 'The Prince' is its overwhelming smell.
It is the most fragrant of the Austins that I grow.

The bush won't win any awards for beauty, as it produces an infinite
mass of small upright canes that form a tangled mess in the middle of
the bush, but the blooms are worth it.

Dark purple rules. I am really looking forward to Reine des Violettes
blooming (new for me this year from Kmart..... heh).

Bob Bauer
Purple Zone 6