Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Foobar Foobar is offline

Default So, who's seeding this week?

On Sep 6, 12:57 pm, Chris Dukes
wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:25:18 -0000 in .com Teech wrote:

It's that time of year...overseeding/reseeding your lawn. But with
the ongoing lack of rain and sometimes scorching temps...is anybody
putting off this task?

I am currently planning on seeding this weekend...but am a little
unsure of whether to put it off another week or two or go ahead and
dive in. I do have the ability to keep the seed damp throughout the
day (and Durham isn't on mandatory water restrictions, yet)...so that
shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother until I saw a weather forecast with a bit of rain,
which probably won't be until early October.
Then again, I'm on a well that was put in before I was a twinkle
in my parents eyes...

I'll probably invest in a thatching blade for the push mower this weekend
to break up accumulated dead stuff and defuse the "land mines" left by the
dogs.
Next weekend I'll try to rent a piston aereator and aereate the lawn
and pick up some compost and sharp sand and pop's little roto tiller
to take care of a few divots in the lawn.
Then when it looks like it'll be raining off and on for a week or two
I'll overseed with winter rye.

Then I'll be discussing with my wife where she wants ~300 ft^2 of nice lawn
in the front yard so we can start converting the rest of trees
shrubs, groundcover, and mulch :-).

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

300 ft^2 is 2 acres. Good luck with that.