Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Peter[_4_] Peter[_4_] is offline

Default compost "tea bags"

Hi Kylie, thanks for your suggestions.

most if not all weed seeds should drown in the 2-4 weeks you are

submerging
the clippings. if they seem not to be drowning, just leave them longer so
they do!! alternatively, if you put the stuff into a finely-woven bag &
submerge the bag in the water, this would solve the issue of seeds going

in
the liquid. you could then re-compost the leftover sludge from the bag.

really, mulching is the only thing that really "helps" with weeds. i just
don't think there's any other solution. seeds blow in from other places
anyway no matter what you do.
kylie

I do mulch too. The problems arise when planting carrots and other vegies
from seed. The weeds spring up so fast that they often overwhelm the
germinated vegie seeds. Or they are so numerous that when I uproot them,
they disturb a large portion of the soil and the vegie roots therein. Things
seem to have calmed down this year though. It's the third or forth year I've
been working the same patch. It was previously lawn (unwanted green "things"
of all shapes and sizes). (c:

Peter