Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Peter[_4_] Peter[_4_] is offline

Default compost "tea bags"

Hey Farml, thanks for your help,

I do a number of things with my weeds. Sometimes I add them to the

compost
(various sorts of systems running), sometimes I add them to the Black Jack
(liquid manure system you are asking about) sometimes I just drop them on
the ground where they were growing with the roots upwards in the sun.

I've got a couple of compost bins on the go too. Unfortunately I don't have
the time to turn them regularly so they don't get hot enough to kill the
seeds. So I cold compost kitchen scraps separate to lawn clippings or weeds
that I've pulled up. Veggie foliage goes into the kitchen compost too. Once
I've soaked the weedy material, I think I'll put the remaining waste in the
veggie compost to further break down any surviving seeds. I guess another
possibility would be to dig a trench in the garden, but I'd rather not lock
away the nutrients down deep where not all the vegies are going to benefit
from it.

Peter