Old 14-09-2007, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Plants of Eeeeeeevil

"Chookie" wrote in message
I have just been crawling around the back lawn uprooting bindii...

sigh

Two years ago, I would have told you we didn't have any out the back
(though a
goodly collection out the front). Last summer, I found a few in the back
yard
in the approved manner (tread-ouch!). This spring, they seem to be there
in
millions. I thought I'd cleared out the back yard infestation a week ago.
Nup.

When the cockroaches are gone, there will still be bindii!

Tackling the front lawn tomorrow. I have hit the really bad bits with
roundup
-- it will be interesting to see the result.

fwiw, my mum says the only thing to do with bindii is to blast the bejesus
out of it with a flamethrower. (well, not a flamethrower - you know, those
flamey things).

apparently when i was tiny, our yard was completely infested (i remember we
weren;t allowed out AT ALL with bare feet) & after my pop had bare-earthed
it, there was never a problem again!

of course, very shortly after burning it, you need to sow seed or runners to
cover the spot completely and quickly. without doing that, the process might
not work. :-)

good luck!! the only thing worse than bindiis is cat heads (which i don't
think grow in sydney anyway). those are just AWFUL.
kylie