Old 03-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Flowers for Shady Areas

You could use any fern; maiden hair, rabbits foot, silver table or pteris,
asparagus. I would plant it around the edge of the pot with maybe some
caladiums in the center. You can also use impatiens, torenia (upright clown
mix or trailing blue), bacopa (snowstorm), new guinea impatiens, tuberous
begonias, hypoestes (splash), fuschia, columbine, hosta, sweet potato vine
(marguerite or blackie), bergenia, ajuga, creeping jenny, variegated vinca
vine (Wojo's Gem), coleus, etc. I've probably forgotten a few, but this
should get you started. You can go to google or yahoo and do a search on
these to possibly see pictures.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Stacia" wrote in message
Hello! I'm new to the group but new to gardening, too. I live in NE
Kansas and the front of my house is super shady - a little sun in the
morning and evening but otherwise shadowed by the house. I'm planning on
putting a little edging and some decorative gravel in the spot, but would
like to put some blooming flowers in pots in the area too. A Google
search wasn't very helpful - what sorts of flowers grow in the shade?
I don't care much about color, just something I could put in some nice
pots and sit out in the bed.
Thanks for any help you can give!

* * *
Stacia * * http://world.std.com/~stacia/
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall