Old 16-09-2007, 04:55 PM posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default organic, non-organic and taste...

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Eric D" wrote

I'm not sure if this is the right group but I expect that some here
can give advice.

Yes, probably so Eric, )
though several other groups may be better suited:

rec.gardens
rec.gardens.edible
uk.rec.gardening

I've taken the liberty to include 'rec.gardens.edible' in this discussion.

Often when I eat non-organic vegetables raw I think I can taste the
pesticides. There is a stinging sensation in my mouth even though
I've washed them thoroughly.

Just because they aren't certified organic, doesn't mean they contain
pesticides, nor would it mean that manures weren't used on the soils. In
fact, non-organic farming may not compost the manures at all and spread
directly onto the fields. Even organically grown foods may contain
pesticides. (ever taste chrysanthemum?

I'm trying to turn to organic but so far that seems to taste like
manure smells or maybe the smell is just overwhelming.

Are there any organically grown vegetables that don't have this flaw
or does anyone have any suggestions.

Organic / non-organic delineation is not drawn by manures and pesticides.
And as another has stated, manure for organic growing is composted
and the resulting material is absent any of its odor. Perhaps something else
is at play here?, like the stronger, more robust flavors from organic produce?

Steve Young

Problem is that this question resonates with one asked every year by a
guy who asks about canned fruit smelling rotten. But for the moment I'll
suspend my better judgement.

Simple test. Have someone give you the same vegetables (one organic, the
other not) in a blind tasting. Keep score of correct vs. incorrect. 50%
would be blind luck.

The tongue can only taste sweet, sour (acid), salty, and bitter. All
other flavors are composites made by your nose. Salt, acid, and thorns
would give a sharp pain on the tongue.

Hope this helps.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley