Old 16-09-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default common white Phal

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:16:25 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

Hi all. As I am not really experienced orchid grower, just past a beginner's
level, I lurk here most of the time. I de-lurk today to ask about a common
white Phalenopsis.

The orchid formed a flower spike in late January this year. The 14 flowers
opened in sequence in February (while I was absent). I came home in March,
to find it still blooming. In early June, when the flowers were falling off,
a side flower spike formed on the January spike, and it commenced blooming
with 8 flowers. Half the way through August, ANOTHER side flower spike
formed on the January spike, and as the flowers from the August spike dried
up, this new spike blooms with 9 huge, gorgeous flowers. At the same time a
new leaf is growing. Everything is looking super-healthy. My question: is
this normal? I had this phal blooming every 7 to 8 months, and had healthy
leaf growth, but never like this, all at once and keeps blooming for 9
months now. Any insight?

Happy but confused - Maggie's Mom.

As long as it grows new leaves and roots along with the blooms you are
prime for the "happy dance." Anytime it quits growing at least one
leaf a year - cut the spike off and rest the plant. I had a huge
lovely white phal. I neglected to cut the spike when mine did not get
a new leaf and it did bloom itself to death it takes energy to bloom
that much. It took a short 18 months of constant bloom, but there is
no recovery then.

Don't forget to repot on a regular schedule. Phal's can take a
repotting with a spike, it is just harder for you. You have to make
sure you don't damage the spike.
SuE