Old 19-09-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
doofy doofy is offline

Default organic, non-organic and taste...

wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:17:33 -0400, "Steve Young"
bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Eric D" wrote

I'm not sure if this is the right group but I expect that some here
can give advice.

Yes, probably so Eric, )
though several other groups may be better suited:

rec.gardens
rec.gardens.edible
uk.rec.gardening

I've taken the liberty to include 'rec.gardens.edible' in this discussion.

Often when I eat non-organic vegetables raw I think I can taste the
pesticides. There is a stinging sensation in my mouth even though
I've washed them thoroughly.

Just because they aren't certified organic, doesn't mean they contain
pesticides, nor would it mean that manures weren't used on the soils. In
fact, non-organic farming may not compost the manures at all and spread
directly onto the fields. Even organically grown foods may contain
pesticides. (ever taste chrysanthemum?

I'm trying to turn to organic but so far that seems to taste like
manure smells or maybe the smell is just overwhelming.

Are there any organically grown vegetables that don't have this flaw
or does anyone have any suggestions.

Organic / non-organic delineation is not drawn by manures and pesticides.
And as another has stated, manure for organic growing is composted
and the resulting material is absent any of its odor. Perhaps something else
is at play here?, like the stronger, more robust flavors from organic produce?

Steve Young

It may be that many organically grown vegetables are also heirloom
varieties which, in many cases, are more flavourful than modern
hybrids.
That being said, if one took a package of certified organic seeds,
planted and raised half those seeds using organically accepted methods
and the other half using normal, non-organic methods, I don't believe
anyone could tell, by taste alone, which of the resulting produce was
organic and which was not.

Ross

I think carrots might be a different animal. If you have always eaten
non-organic, it might be hard to taste the absence of chemicals, but if
you're used to tasting clean food, that chemical taste will definitely
pop out. Does for me anyway.