Old 20-09-2007, 11:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default suckering quinces

"0tterbot" wrote in message
tbh we're not 100% sure they are quinces - there was no fruit last year,
so i'm guessing :-) they look like quinces, though.

however, there are several, & they have water shoots at their bases, &
even worse, clumps of suckers coming up out of the ground.

i have read that one should not cut water shoots or suckers, but rather,
tear them off, otherwise they just grow back (is this true?). but these
are a bit too sturdy for tearing (i've tried).

I've read the same thing and done the same thing but I'm never sure if it
works or not. If they are too big, I now cut them off and that seems to
make no difference either.

well that is reassuring, since i have no idea what plan b might be!!

do you snip them off with secateurs, or saw them off in a clump? (i'm
thinking of sawing, as it would seem to be a better option with so many
shoots, & then i could rub off any new shoots.)

we have a continual problem with water shoots & some of the trees. i'd bet
anything the previous people were careless whipper-snippers. how it makes me
snort with rage!!

i was going to ask dh to dig out all the suckers, & we can have a look at
where they seem to have come from. again, i just can't think what else to do
in the absence of brilliant ideas forthcoming from this group ;-) and plus,
he seems to enjoy doing manly things that don't do much for me personally.
thank you.
kylie