Old 20-09-2007, 11:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default big old bottlebrushes

we have two big old bottlebrush trees which are not only very thick and
bushy, but also completely wonky. :-)

i get the impression that they've been pruned all down one side for access
to a path, & did not ever grow back in these spots. the rest of them is
growing out all over the place & they just look horrible. however, the tiny
birds like them & live in them so they're staying for now.

is it so that bottlebrush won't grow back where pruned? (in which case,
surely i need to go very carefully..!?). will a bit of tip pruning just to
even out the bushy lumpy bits at the very tips make more bushiness, or
result in never growing back?

i think i need to get them more tree-shaped underneath, & then go carefully
round the bushy parts - would appreciate any tips on this, & any experiences
anyone has with bottlebrushes after pruning. i pruned a little one at our
last house & indeed, nothing seemed to grow back afterwards but i don't
think that particular one was very happy anyway. my big two i have here are
very happy indeed, but just totally ugly :-)
thanks for any tips!!
kylie