Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

Default for Shiva - replacements for Mr. L (?)

torgo wrote:

I'm in Atlanta, GA. I was in Florida on business a few weeks ago,
and drove so that I could hit some nurseries while I was there.

Aha! Sorry. I must have missed the first part and made assumptions based
on your rose shopping. I have family in Atlanta--it's a fun city.

The Double Delight was grown by Weeks and purchased in a 3-gal
container from a nursery in Rockledge, FL. One bloom had already
opened, and a second opened while I had the plant in my hotel room.

I have a bunch of Weeks roses, mostly because we see them and J&P more
than any other kind in potted roses, and I had a couple of years where I
bought nothing but potted. This is the first year I have ever seen Weeks
bare roots, and I am favorably impressed. Long, gorgeous roots and tender
green canes! Very nice. Just watered them, and I see little red leaf buds
already.

I also picked up one of my two Kentucky Derbys on that trip, from a
nursery just off of I-95, and a Heritage at a nursery in St.
Augustine.

I really like this style of business traveling. Do you plan your route per
where the rose stops are? G If so, you are a goner.

The first Derby bloom is now open. Absolutely gorgeous,
classic red bloom on a nice bushy plant, but alas only a mild
fragrance. Bummer.

It is, but give it some time. It may be worth growing anyway. I have few
roses that have no scent--but the ones I have are terrific. In trying to
think of what I have, it seems only Tineke and Tropical Sunset are left--
and a worn-out old cankered Touch of Class that is in a pot because I
don't have the heart to off it. Sentimental reasons.

Next rose buying trip = Ashdown...

Paul Zimmerman is a class act. I buy from him every year. Your grafted
roses will probably be on fortuniata [sp?] root stock, which is really
different looking, if you get bare roots. There are lots more roots and
they are very hard and woody looking.