Old 26-09-2007, 11:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Leftred Leftred is offline

Default Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

I always found that most varieties, including grosse lise, grew well enough,
the real problem is fruit fly.

In the end, I just grew cherry tomatoes because they have a tougher skin and
are more resistant to fly strike. As well, they taste great. They also grow
prolifically, whether you let them spread on the ground or train them up a
wall or fence.

Ian

"HC" wrote in message
G'day Lionel

If you check ebay there are lots of heritage tomato seeds available and
who knows, you might find your old bullocks heart.

I've just bought some green/white stripe, red/orange stripe, white/cream
and black tomato seeds so hoping for some interesting salads this summer.

Not sure this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Lionel van den Berg wrote:
wrote:

Tomatoes are heavy feeders so try more fertilizer.

Anything in particular? I did give them dynamic lifter (though being high
in nitrogen I suspect that is mostly good for leaf growth) and some blood
and bone. I'm still working on building the soil, mulching heavily, it's
not the greatest soil around.

I grew up in Northern NSW, you don't even need to fertilise there and you
get big juicy tomatoes. We were at that time keeping our own seed from a
variety called bullocks heart. It doesn't really look like the one they
sell as ox heart now, but it certainly was the best tomato I've ever
eaten, pity I let the seed go .

Lionel.