Old 27-09-2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill[_2_] jtill[_2_] is offline

Default Reality Check on an Orchid Light Solution?....

On Sep 13, 4:28 pm, wrote:
Hi folks. I'm new to orchids and new to this group. I'm hoping
you'll share your expertise on a lighting problem. I keep my orchids
on two Humidity Trays (each one is 29.5" x 13.5"). The trays are on a
kitchen counter up against a west-facing window (one window per
tray). Domestic issues dictate that no light units can hang from the
ceiling. (There is no other room in which to keep the orchids).

My proposed solution is to purchase a Sunlight Supply 4-foot
fluorescent Light Stand, which can raise a light unit up to 5 ft. (It
looks to be better quality than the Green Thumb/Jump Up unit). In
that way, I can remove the unit when company comes over and harmony is
maintained. This seems to solve my problem, but am I missing
something important here?

The stand does not appear to come with a fluorescent light unit. The
stand can take all of the Tek-Light T5, Light Wave T5, Satellite II
and Satellite IV grow lights. If you agree that this plan is
workable, what 4 foot fluorescent light unit(s) do you recommend to
hang on it? Given the dimensions of the trays, should I go for a 2
light or 4 light unit? I'm willing to spend some money to get a
quality unit and would appreciate any recommendations as well as some
good places on-line to buy it.
Thanks-
JS

There are so many variables, your significant other, cost, beauty,
quick moves, light requirements, best bulb and on and on. Take a look
at;

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

Follow the links to see what is available, what others have done etc.
Regardless, your first try will probably not be your last.