Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default natural area

I tossed in the urea on the assumption that the decomposition used up the
nitrogen in the material and that replacing it with urea would help to
balance the process. Yes, I also think that it speeded up the process by
adding some heat as well. It worked for me, but you might want to
experiment some. BTW- the stuff would get hot enough to be uncomfortable
when churning, so be cautious.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Brad Heidinger" wrote in message
Hi Tom,

What is the purpose of the Urea? Is it a catalyst to activate the compost.

have heard of adding a handful of 10:10:10 fertilizer or other compost

activator
but never straight urea pellets. I guess it worked well for you or you

wouldn't
have done it, eh? I think I will give it a try. My compost is always on

the cold
side. (Partly due to less than adequate sun) Granted, it will heat up but

never
to the degree that I desire. I want to kill all those weed seeds.

Regards,
Brad

Tom Gauldin wrote:

Penny, I'm hoping that others might also chip in on this, but my

experience
was the opposite of yours. In Indiana, I collected my clippings and

used
them for mulch as well. However, as the grass composted beneath the

'crust'
formed by the dry grass on top,, I found that it cut back on plant

growth.
I was told that the composting grass clippings robbed the area of

nitrogen
and that I should first compost the grass clippings separately, turning

them
frequently, and adding urea before spreading them out in the garden.

I constructed a pen where I'd dump my clippings and would toss in a cup

of
urea pellets each time. I kept a pitch fork handy and would "turn" the

new
grass into the old. It composted fairly rapidly and made a good topping

for
the garden. In the fall, I'd empty my pen of the balance of the

composted
grass and spread it on the garden before tilling.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
You can use the grass clippings as mulch if you want to, but the

drawback
is
that it won't look very fresh like mulch or pinestraw. Grass is

actually