Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] lance.d.bresee@intel.com is offline

Default Transplanting Wintergreen

I have a big patch of wintergreen I discovered when I smelled
lifesavers when mowing my lawn. It used to grow in a shady spot near
lots of white pine. Once the EPA came in and cut down the trees, the
wintergreen has been fading and being taken over by some form of wild,
fruitless strawberry. I have another place under some white pines
where low-growth blueberries are growing wild. I've seen wintergreen
growing with low growth blueberries in the wild, so I'd like to
transplant my wintergreen to this more hospitable area.

When should I transplant?
Is there a fertilizer I can employ to hasten growth?
Does wintergreen like sompost and mulch?

I am in Massachusetts, near the border with New Hampshire and Vermont.

Thanks for your help!