Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Slater aka wood louse

Woodlice normally live out-of-doors where they hide by day in dark damp
places under stones and other debris, in cracks and crevices in paving
and fences and under flower pots, etc., emerging chiefly at night when
there is less chance of their drying out. The food taken consists mainly
of decaying vegetable materials (especially damaged fruit), dead
insects, fungi, etc.,
though they are known to damage the leaves of young plants and

occasionally the roots.
They do not spread any disease and are harmless to humans.So they do
damage some plants at times. Another source....

Terryc wrote:
Jonno wrote:
No one read my post? Slaters, they do eat young seedlings. See ABC
website.

Perhaps as a last resort. I'd take it to mean that you are not putting
enough organic matter, aka mulch, etc, on your garden anyway.

Both of us here have never had a problem with slatters eating seedlings
in 20+ years.

As to the ABC gardening information; largely unreliable in my books.

.