Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Broad beans questions

If you get them early, the pods and beans can be eaten as one item,
otherwise we use the beans and either eat them straight away, or freeze
the beans and they keep really well.

Watch out for aphids, and if you do spot them, hose the trips of the
plant. Better to spot them earlier than later when the damn things
multiply ferociously and cause damage...

There are other pests but not if you grow them in the right season and
area for that to not to occur.

Terryc wrote:
Staycalm wrote:
I planted my beans a few months back and they are growing well. They
have lots of white flowers down the stems and most leaves look
healthy. My question is: when do the beans grow, how long should it
take to crop and how do I actually pick them? This is a new crop for me.

The flowers get fertilised.
They start to grow a been pod.
Imagine a pea pod, but the pods inside are bigger and have flat sides.
Nope, they do not stack like life savers but the other way.

SWMBO'd says we planed ours beginning of June and they have been
flowering for weeks. Beginning of August.

We have only had a couple of feeds for 2 of the small pods (6" long) so
far.

Other people seem to grow things better and faster than we do, so yours
might be quicker.