Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Establishing a lawn

"~Ellie~" wrote in message

Hi! I've decided to start working on our garden... at the moment it's a
big bare block of dirt, with weeds starting to rear their nasty little
heads everywhere.

I'm attempting to grow a blue couch lawn from seed, one section at a
time, due to financial constraints.

I have just one question to begin with, but I'm sure many more will
follow

Can I use grey water (washing machine, shower) to water the lawn as it
germinates, or will there be too much phospherous, etc in the water?

are you really in u.k. or is that just a trick? :-)

anyway, if you're in australia like the rest of us here g, use "aware" or
"planet ark" washing powder & you won't have any problems with it at all.
most detergents these days are low or no-phosphorus anyway, but "aware"
(etc) is particularly benign.

if you're not in aust, there is most likely these days a low-chemical powder
which is equivalent to the above.

shower water isn't ever a problem - unless you're using massive quantities
of it, soap etc makes no real difference to the water.

i use grey water a lot on the yard, & never had any problems at all. (i do
like to use fresh water sometimes, though - i think it might be a bit rough
on the plants eventually if they never ever got anything but grey water -
ours goes through the shower & then through the machine, sometimes multiple
times, so sometimes it can be a bit strong).
kylie

It
has already got a lawn starter fertiliser on the soil.

Thanks in advance for any replies!