Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

, I, Marvo, say :

[1] sandboxed - confined to using a reduced set of the capabilities
of your computer so that it can do any harm if it is maliciously or
incompetently programmed.

[2] buffer overrun attack - in an insufficiently defensively
programmed piece of software a malicious user can write, say, 110
characters where only 100 is allowed for. This overwrites other
data; depending on what the data is it can have severe effects.

[3] exploit - a means of defeating the security features of a
computer.

I don't think I'd grasped how dangerous it is out there!! I'm
extremely cautious about emails with attachments but this sounds v.
worrying! Thank you for bothering to go into all this, though. I'm
beginning to get a faint grasp of the essentials.

You've got a Mac. I wouldn't worry.

It never ceases to amaze me how, whatever the subject of a thread, they seem
to end up talking (normally out of a hat) about technical things. I suspect
it is something to do with the medium.

Can't the technical rubbish be put in another thread, or something?

Just an idea.