Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Establishing a lawn

Do you need a lawn for small children to play on? You could save much
water, expense and work by not having a lawn. There are alternatives.

David

Do you think that establishing a large garden without lawn is cheap? I
wouldn't.

I didn't say it was cheap to establish - nor is it. But choosing based on
establishment cost alone is short sighted. Maybe it would have been clearer
if I had said:

"In the long run you could save much water, expense and work by not having a
lawn."

When I had small children I signed up for the full; fertilise, weed, water,
mow, trim, rake, sweep routine. As soon as the playgym and pigtails went so
did the lawn. The transition cost some money and effort but saved much in
the long run.

David