Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] grnossack@yahoo.com.au is offline

Default My gardening day so far

Staycalm wrote:
It's just beautiful here in sunny Melbourne. A little windy and we need more
rain...
However, I am enjoying pottering about. I helped P (age 5) make her own
flower garden in a polystyrene box got from the fruit shop (free of course).
I think I might go back and get some more. They are perfect for children to
grow stuff in. P wanted flower seedlings rather than veg. She chose violas,
pink petunias and some lovely blue salvias. I must remember to put down some
slug pellets before I finish up today.

As for me I made up a new tomato guard and planted my two tomatoes (one
large heirloom tomato and a tommytoe). I have a volunteer that I think will
be a grape tomato. Basil is in next to them. I will be planting seeds next -
some Lebanese zucchinis and trying to squeeze in some spinach. And then I
must decide how long I let the snow peas keep on as I want to use the
trellis for cucumbers. The snow peas have been just lovely. I've pulled out
the rest of the carrots as they were a big failure. Weird shapes and bitter
taste. Rather get them from the shops :-)

I've been spraying masses of aphids that are on the poor lavender and the
lettuce. Liquid citrus fertiliser on the lemons and the lime. Will do the
veg garden with the veg fertiliser soon.

Three different types of strawberry went into a bag that will hang on the
veg garden stake. Will be interested in how well they will do. Bit worried I
may not be able to keep the water up to them.

In between planting I've been weeding. It's all coming out fairly easily so
I'm going around the garden quite quickly.

Happy gardening!!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Gen here...

You sound as if you are having a lovely time in your garden!

Good on you!

I'm from Melbourne too...

Enjoyed reading your message and look forward to future updates as to
how your garden is progressing! It all sounded very inspiring.
Thankyou.

Take Care.

-Gen