Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cymbidiums with ants

It's called Orange Guard. Don't spray it on the flowers. It's a citrus oil
based product, and it's sticky. They say to spray it on top of the medium.
They also say it kills on contact, which it does. But it leaves a heavy
sticky residue. Frank sprayed it on the floor when we had a brief influx of
ants in the house. What a mess to clean up. No more interior ants, but I
think it's because they are frightened of getting their feet stuck to the
stuff!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
It's been my experience that ants carry scale and other diseases to my
orchids, so I try to get rid of the ants. But Cymbidiums grow out doors
(at least around here) so its difficult to know how to get rid of them.
There's this orange oil spray you can get in stores that seems to be
effective in getting rid of ants without the use of pesticides. My next
ant attack I'm going to try it.

K Barrett
"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
Are ants harmful to cymbidiums?

If so, is spraying with an insecticide a bad thing to do.

What would you recommend.

Thanks