Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow
some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on
a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of
my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food -
I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal
planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it
would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and
herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

--

Leythos

Unless you're rich enough to afford the electric bill for thousands of watts
worth of lights, there's not much you can grow. That's the only way you'll
begin to approach sunlight. A friend of mine grew some pretty weak lettuce
indoors, using just window light, but this was in a summer room with windows
all around. You might be able to do that with lights.