Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow
some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on
a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of
my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food -
I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal
planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it
would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and
herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

A large window that faces the sun would be a much better start than a dark
area even if you are going to add artificial lighting. Even so you will be
up against it as veges and herbs like full sun.

You don't say why you want to grow in the house or what your winter is like
so we are in the dark as much as your plants (groan).

If you are thinking of spending money on lamps and the power to run them
(not insignificant) you might be better off investing in some sort of small
greenhouse on a sunny balcony or spot in the yard. Your climate will
determine how elaborate this needs to be or if it will work at all.

David