Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Love the lack of water dont you?

Jonno wrote:
I am afraid that nuclear power may not be safe, but definitely not
when its on a fault line ((Indonesia Iran and Japan to mention some)
or mismanaged, then the system is really dangerous, and not just
locally.
Have a look at the problems they have with one of the first nuclear
facilities at Sellafield in Great Britain, fifty years after the problem

its still not known how they can fix it.

Despite nuclear being safer these days, its a dangerous worry.
Australia is probably in a better position than most countries in the
world to use it, but despite its vastness, there are many people
suffering illnesses caused by unexplained cancers.
I know what I suspect.I know one thing, In Tasmania our headmaster
gave us iodine tablets for
"goitre" which was also an ideal cover for the radioactive fallout
which drifted over Tasmania after a nuclear test in SA.
He may have known that this would prevent problems due to radioactive
iodine being taken up by young people who were still developing. The
goitre tablets contained Iodine.
We were lucky.
Here is the link, and others from the BBC are interesting reading....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield
http://www.virtualnucleartourist.com...s/windscal.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire

While this is not a gardening topic, it still affects all of us, if
they ever decide to build a local power station.
I figure Bass Strait is also in consideration. Especially seeing they
built a power line from Tassie lately...

cp wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:07:48 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:36:08 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

jh wrote:

If I was the PM I'd forget about the murrey darling basin and build
each state a couple of desal plants whioch are about $350 million
each. Each plant in Perth caters for about 300,000 people.
1) Little John would rather funds parties than build any infrastruture
for Australia. his legacy is going to be the squandering of the good
economic times that PK lined up.
Water is the responceability of the states as is the hospital system
which is in a god awful mess.
So why is John Howard trying to take over control of the
Murray-Darling Basin?

Personnaly I think he's made a mistake. Time for him to retire
gracefully. I don't like Costello. I would like to see Turnball or
Bishop in the leadership pack with Downer.

2) Climate change. To power desal, you are going to need a new coal
fired power station. Nukes are not going to happen in my lifetime.
Power stations are owned by the state governemets, blame them for coal
power station building.
So why did John Howard come home form his last trip to the US and
announce within a week that Australia would have 20+ Nuclear Power
Staions?

Its a good idea. I'm all for nuclear power. Safe as houses.
Martin Fergerson is for nuclear power and he's from the ALP.
At least Rudd will allow Nuclear mining at long last. Now to get the
other states on board so they can mine urainium as well.

There are 443 uranium nuclear power stations in the world. The French
get 75% of power from nuclear reactors and sell power to Germany who
is against Nuclear power but is quite happy to pay for the power that
comes from nuclear.

I don't know why people are against it, maybe it comes from the silly
arms race between the then USSR and the US.

Longer term though helium-3 will be the way to go. 6 tonnes helium-3
would give enough fuel to run the whole of the UK for a year.

Helium-3 is on the moon which is why they are all eager to get back to
the moon.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/rus...788144227.html

Helium-3 is a non-radioactive isotope of helium that can be used in
nuclear fusion.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss